I’m sad to say that I do not have a ton to show you this month, however to make up for it I’m going to post some previews of my costumes for The Little Mermaid once I show you the one thing I’ve managed to make for myself recently.
I’m actually cheating because the dress I’m going to show off here was actually made at the very, very end of December, right before my Christmas vacation ended and I had to head back to work and go into full on musical mode. But it was a good one!
This is the Sorrel Dress from Jennifer Lauren Handmade. It’s made up in a cotton lawn that I found at Sew Over It. I had originally intended to make a shirt with it, as I waited so long to buy it, there were only 2 meters left, but it turns out Sorrel was the perfect project.
It was a lovely make: quick and easy and with no fitting issues whatsoever. My only complaint (and this has nothing to do with the pattern itself, but my own loathing of this particular step in ANY project) was that the dress had SO MANY BUTTONS. I felt like I spent hours sewing all the buttons on. But again, take that with a grain of salt because it’s one of my least favorite parts of the process (any hand sewing is, really). But it’s a small price to pay to find another really great pattern that I’m going to use over and over again! In fact, I already have another one cut and ready to go for when I have more sewing time again.
Now, as promised, here’s what I have actually been working on in January. Because I am trying to keep the full costumes top secret until the show at the end of the month, these are some of the cryptic preview pictures that I’ve been taking of my work.
Don’t worry, as soon as the show has come and gone there will be a full costume breakdown post, and I’m very much hoping to have time to make myself some dresses to wear to our performances so fingers crossed my February makes post will be a little more exciting!