{Pattern Review: Myosotis Dress}

Deer and Doe is a pattern company I have known for a while, but have yet to really try out. I own many of their patterns, but only recently did I actually try one: the Myosotis Dress.

Oddly enough, I have been avoiding Myosotis specifically, yet it became the first Deer and Doe pattern I actually made up. I was mainly avoiding it because, while I really liked the design, it’s meant to fit very oversized, and I’ve spoken many times here about how I don’t love it when things look too big or baggy on me. However, a quick look at the size chart told me I could size down a bit, and that’s just what I did. I was semi-concerned that, by sizing down, I wouldn’t be able to get in and out of the dress, but that turned out not to be a problem (and I figured I could unpick the side a little and add the side zip if I absolutely needed to).

For the most part, I’m really happy with the way this turned out. I had a little bit of trouble with the collar. There’s nothing obviously wrong with it at first glance, but it doesn’t sit quite right. Even so, that’s hardly enough to make me not want to wear the dress or even to consider it a flop.

Other than my little collar problem there was nothing particularly complicated when it comes to this pattern. There was a lot of gathering, for the skirt layers and the sleeve ruffles, and you do need to add buttons and buttonholes, but everything else is definitely something a beginner could handle (but then again, you’re talking to the person who will try even the most complicated looking step right away and learn as I go!).

The fabric I used is a gauze linen that I purchased at Blackbird Fabrics.

I definitely want to try to make another Myosotis at some point in time, but I don’t think it will make it’s way onto the priority project list any time soon. For my next one, I would probably make some adjustments. While I like the dress as is, I saw a version that had the bodice lengthened slightly, and I think I would like to try that. I’m also considering sizing down even more, and adding a side zipper to get in and out of the dress. As my sewing skills grow, so does my desire to hack things and play around with patterns more!

Overall, another successful make, and one I look forward to wearing this summer!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: