After having great success with the Myosotis Dress, I wanted to try my hand at another Deer and Doe pattern. I already had the Sirocco Jumpsuit cut out and ready to go, as well as the perfect fabric for it, and so I took the plunge.
First off, jumpsuits and rompers are a tad out of my comfort zone, wearing-wise. I can absolutely make one without a problem. But I don’t often wear them, convinced that they can’t possibly look good on my body type. However, with everything else, I just hadn’t found the right one yet.
I first saw the pattern on the Deer and Doe website, when they released it. I didn’t think anything of it until I started to see it popping up on people on Instagram. EVERYONE LOOKED GOOD IN IT. I found it catching my eye multiple times while scrolling, always going back to see what pattern it was. I had to make one.
I started with the shorts version for a number of reasons. First, I had the fabric I wanted to use on hand already, but didn’t think I had enough for the pants version. Second, it’s summer and about 100,000 degrees! I was envisioning a cute little romper that I could use for the rest of the summer. This adorable pineapple print was perfect for that.
As far as the pattern goes, it is incredibly straightforward and easy to put together. If you’ve worked with knits at all, you should have no problem sewing this up. The shorts version is a great place to start since you don’t need to worry about making sure the pants are the right length. I’m relatively short, so I figured the shorts version would work no matter what, and be relatively easy to hem if they weren’t (this is the pattern as is).
There’s nothing in the pattern that I would consider particularly difficult. As with everything else, everyone has a different idea of what they consider challenging when it comes to sewing, but for me this pattern didn’t have any of them. If you’re a beginner, you may find the challenge more in your choice of fabric than in the pattern itself. Deer and Doe provides very clear instructions, and there was no point where I was staring at them trying to figure out what they were talking about.
The only con? It is slightly difficult to get out of for visits to the bathroom! However, I suspect this might be due to the fabric choice I made. It’s a cotton pique, and it does stretch but doesn’t have quite as much stretch as a jersey might have. So I’ll have to get back to you on this particular issue once I’ve made another one – because I WILL be making another one, despite this problem (I think I’m making it sound worse than it is also; it’s not impossible to get out of, just takes a little extra time).
My next Sirocco is going to be a deep green pants version that I can wear to work in the fall. I highly recommend this pattern if you’ve never made a jumpsuit before – or if you’re just looking for something new!